Chicken Liver Mousse
- 1 lb Chicken liver
- Milk enough to cover chicken livers
- 8 ounces Butter room temperature and divided
- 1 cup Yellow Onion finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 ounces Cognac
- 2 ounces Port
- In a bowl, soak the chicken livers in milk for 24 hours. Rinse.
- For 2 minutes, sauté onions in two tablespoons of butter on medium-high heat. Cover pan, reduce to medium heat, and cook 5 to 7 minutes until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, alcohol, and cream and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low to low-medium and cook gently for 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remainder of butter. Place raw livers in blender and add onion mixture with salt and pepper. Blend thoroughly and season to taste. Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove any impurities. Fill an 8 oz. mason jar half way.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Bring pot of water to a boil; the water line should stop were the liver ends. Place mason jar in water bath and cook for 30 minutes or until set. Allow to cool to room temperature for 15 minutes, and then refrigerate. After chilled, remove the fatty layer on top. Keep level in refrigerator. Once set again, cover with lid. Allow to come to room temperature before serving. Yields 12 four-ounce portions.
This recipe is from Cape Cod LIFE’s second annual “Best of” recipe section from the April 2017 issue.
You might also like:
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More